This Sunday I went to Northern Stage to see their production of King Lear, a Shakespearean tragedies. Written between 1603 and 1606, King Lear tells the story of an old man dividing his kingdom between his three daughters. Lear's kingdom, already in difficulty, falls apart after he disowns his youngest daughter, Cordelia, and the remaining two daughters and their husbands split the kingdom. The play’s action follows an increasingly troubled Lear as he wanders outside in a very powerful storm.
One of the things that stood out to me about this production was how skillfully Northern Stage used special effects to enhance the play. I have been part of the stage crew at Thetford Academy for a couple different shows, and that experience has really made me appreciate the sets, lighting, and use of sound in plays. As soon as I walked in to King Lear, I noticed the incredible set. The backdrop of the opening scenes of the play was made up of sheets of fabrics that pieced together to make the King's face. And that backdrop changed during the storm scene in a way that enhanced the overall play. In order to depict the storm, Northern Stage used lights, sound, and special effects. They played classic storm noises, flashed lights, and made it rain. To make it rain, they set up pieces of foam and rubber above the stage and during the storm open it up so it would fall down and create the effect of rain. I thought that the way they made it rain in the storm part added positively to the overall show without taking away from it. When the fabric was up it defined a relatively small area of the stage, but when it fell down during the storm that whole backstage area was opened up creating a much larger outdoor space. These special effects really made the play more effective and made me think about how talented all the people that helped to put the play on really were. Also, I thought about how lucky I am to have such an amazing theater company right where I live.
King Lear has been performed for over 400 years, but this production represented the current day. The cast of this production was multiracial. Similarly, women were cast to play roles traditionally played by men. For example, the character of Kent, the king's advisor, was played by a woman and the Duke of Gloucester was also played by a woman despite traditionally being a male role. To me, that was really cool and was yet another thing that helped make Northern Stages production of King Lear special.
Overall, the set and the special effects helped bring the play to life, which was very important in this very dense and sometimes confusing plot. I left this play wanting to ask questions about certain scenes to gain a better understanding about what was going on.
When I heard you had gone to see a Shakespeare play and was planning on doing your review, I immediately became interested in what you were going to write. I enjoy Shakespeare a lot but I’ll agree with you in that King Lear is a rather confusing one.
During one of my One Act competitions, I saw King Lear. However, I assume that that fifty-five minute performance can barely be compared to the lengthy one you saw. Even though the professionalism of the actors and length of the play were drastically different, just from your review, I can see quite a similarity between the complexities of the set. There was not rubber falling from the sky in the show I saw, but there was a clear amount of effort put into their set. They had a huge head of the King center stage. It was used as a place for actors to hide behind and stand in. They also used red and blue lights to give that storm effect. The role the set played in both of these productions makes me wonder what it would be like without it. As well as wonder why the set is such an important part of King Lear.
Thank you for your thoughtful review, Lily. It's interesting to see the show through your eyes as a set tech person. I agree that we're lucky to have a professional theater company doing work at such a high level in our region. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on the ethical dilemma Lear's daughters face as their father demands demonstrations of love and how you interpret Cordelia's actions in the context of impossible options. Do you have insights into the sources of Lear's growing madness? What connects for you about the play's depiction of father-daughter love and loyalty?
Due to the current situation, I was unable to attend a local lecture. I have gone to several in the past and was excited to listen to another and share a written reflection on this blog. However, I have found the value in listening to online lectures, specifically TEDTalks. This site offers a wide variety of speakers and topics and you can find a talk on essentially anything. I was originally going to look for one that I agreed with. For instance, the benefits that music has on your brain, or the evolution of technology and how it has both advanced and hindered our society. Then I got an urge to listen to one that I did not agree with. I wanted to hear someone’s perspective that I oppose as I thought it would be more interesting to respond to. But I came across one titled “Why it is worth listening to people you disagree with.” This seemed even more engaging than what I was originally wanting.
This TEDTalk was presented by Zachary R. Wood on how valuable it is to listen to controversial speakers. He shared how throughout his life, he has had many experiences of uncomfortable learning. He had a difficult time listening to people speak of how some races are less intelligent than others. He learned about affirmative action from his mother and the best ways to stay safe as a part of the black community from a book. Wood has his own very defined views on these topics. But has made it a goal of his to not only listen to people with opposing views but learn from them. Wood said that hearing from people who think that blacks have lower IQ’s is difficult and he has no intention of trying to agree with them. However, he wants to find common ground with these people. In fact, he had a conversation with someone who was known for their controversial talks about race and intelligence. Wood came out from this discussion realizing that both he and the man wanted to create a more just society, yet their versions of justice are quite different. He was able to look past their ideas he did not agree with and find something they had in common. But he could also see the importance of finding what they disagreed on. This way, Wood may not come to accept or side with their opinions, but he can better understand why they feel a certain way.
Every single point Wood made in his TEDTalk made sense. I often found myself nodding along with his points and even clapping at the end. It can be difficult to hear people speak against something you strongly believe. It can be extremely triggering if a traumatic experience was paired with those opposing views. However, these views will always be there. Not paying attention to them will not due us any good. In fact, it can do harm. I believe that closing off anyone who does not think like us, is closing us off to a world of learning. By gathering multiple perspectives one might find an opinion they share which can make way for even more in-depth conversations. Which can then lead to an appreciation of different views. I gained a lot from this eleven-minute video and truly wish it had been longer. Wood explained his points very clearly and one of the last things he mentioned summed up his talk very well. Here it is:
“I’d like to see a world with more leaders who are more familiar with the depths of the views of those they deeply disagree with.”
Here is the link to the TEDTalk I listened to. https://www.ted.com/talks/zachary_r_wood_why_it_s_worth_listening_to_people_you_disagree_with
I was originally planning on attending a local lecture, but was unable to due to COVID-19. I turned to looking at some online videos, and was intrigued by a commencement speech that Elon Musk gave in 2012 at the California Institute of Technology. This speech was truly inspiring and beneficial to listen to.
It was really interesting to hear about his childhood and what inspired him to do what he does. He didn’t know what he wanted to be, but he thought that inventing things would be cool and decided to pursue that based on a quote from Arthur C. Clark. The quote said, “A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” He wanted to make his own magic in the world and help to expand the knowledge that we already have and go further with it. One of his inventions in particular really stood out to me and that was when he talked about creating SpaceX. He explained how despite everyone telling him that he shouldn’t do it and that it was a crazy idea, he went for it anyways. While it was tough at first, and he failed creating a rocket three times, on the fourth try he successfully built one and had the rocket reach orbit. I thought two big lessons came out of that. It really showed the failures you have to go through before you succeed and how that will only make you more determined and able to adjust your ideas in order to make what you want happen. He also proved that it’s possible to do something that everyone else thinks is impossible. I think that’s really empowering and shows that if you put your mind to something and work for it, you really can make it happen.
Hearing him talk about PayPal, SpaceX, and Tesla, I also noticed how much he truly cares for humanity. After inventing PayPal, he discussed how he was thinking about other problems that could likely affect the future of humanity and basing his next project off of that. I think that’s really important. He wasn’t thinking about all of the money he could make, he was focusing on the future of us. Musk talked about how through SpaceX he wants to make sure humanity is able to have a back up plan using Mars. He wants to find a fast and reusable transport system to Mars incase something happens to Earth. This was something that really struck me. A lot of things seem to be all about money, and people wanting to gain money. I think it’s so much more important to put money aside and think about ways you can help others and their futures because that’s something you truly cannot put a price on. I think more people need to focus and worry about the future of humanity and what we would do if something happened, and I think he did a really good job of highlighting that idea.
The last line of his speech was like the cherry on top. It really summed up his points and I think it leaves everyone who hears it inspired to go out and do good in the world. He said, “You guys are the magicians of the 21st century. Don’t let anything hold you back, imagination is the limit and go out there and create some magic.” The Caltech students definitely have bright futures ahead of them, and I admire everything Elon Musk said to encourage them and the choices they make.
Ben Acker I had originally planned to attend a lecture locally and reflect on it here with you guys. Fortunately, due to Covid-19 my options as far as the subject of the lecture have expanded from a selection of local speakers available in one semester to all documented speakers ever. This sudden shift left me undecided as to what virtual lecture I wanted to attend. The good thing about virtual lectures is that they can be from any time and the listener can re-wind the speakers words. I took advantage of this and after looking at many TEDtalks I began to think about my own life. With the coronavirus, protests, and even riots happening in our country I realized that I am using my phone more than ever before. I believe that I use my phone too much and that led me to a TEDtalk from 2016 that is more relevant now than ever. Cal Newport is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Georgetown University. He prides himself on never having a social media account and in this TEDtalk, “Why you should quit social media” he convinces the audience to quit social media. While Mr. Newports ideas are somewhat dated in 2020, the principal is the same. Cell phones are an unnecessary and an unsavory source of entertainment. I agree with Mr. Newports ideas and something I noticed watching in 2020 is how social media is being used today. While it remains a source of entertainment it is also now a source of news. His TEDtalk doesn't talk about how social media conveys news and without getting too political I would like to. Coronavirus, the presidential campaign, black lives matter. These three things have been dominating the news cycle as of 2020. Headlines have penetrated so deep into social media that I find it hard to open my phone and not see the news. But as with any news outlet we, as consumers and viewers, need to be cautious. Many video clips are taken out of context with no credit given. On social media it is difficult to find where information is coming from and the perspective of the presenter. With this information missing news can be misinterpreted and spread very quickly. Another problem with news on social media is the algorithms that determine what the viewer sees. Social media shows the consumer what is popular and what is trendy. Social media does not convey a broad spectrum of perspectives on any given topic like other trusted news sources. This makes news on social media less about the facts and more about the most popular perspective. Because credit is rarely given and literally anybody can present news to the world it can be hard to tell what is real, and what is not. It’s important to take all news especially that on social media with a grain of salt and an open mind. Cal Newport's ideas remain relevant four years later. I wonder what Mr. Newport thinks about social media today? Have his views changed? Does he still not have any social media?
King Lear
ReplyDeleteNorthern Stage
January 26, 2020
This Sunday I went to Northern Stage to see their production of King Lear, a Shakespearean tragedies. Written between 1603 and 1606, King Lear tells the story of an old man dividing his kingdom between his three daughters. Lear's kingdom, already in difficulty, falls apart after he disowns his youngest daughter, Cordelia, and the remaining two daughters and their husbands split the kingdom. The play’s action follows an increasingly troubled Lear as he wanders outside in a very powerful storm.
One of the things that stood out to me about this production was how skillfully Northern Stage used special effects to enhance the play. I have been part of the stage crew at Thetford Academy for a couple different shows, and that experience has really made me appreciate the sets, lighting, and use of sound in plays. As soon as I walked in to King Lear, I noticed the incredible set. The backdrop of the opening scenes of the play was made up of sheets of fabrics that pieced together to make the King's face. And that backdrop changed during the storm scene in a way that enhanced the overall play. In order to depict the storm, Northern Stage used lights, sound, and special effects. They played classic storm noises, flashed lights, and made it rain. To make it rain, they set up pieces of foam and rubber above the stage and during the storm open it up so it would fall down and create the effect of rain. I thought that the way they made it rain in the storm part added positively to the overall show without taking away from it. When the fabric was up it defined a relatively small area of the stage, but when it fell down during the storm that whole backstage area was opened up creating a much larger outdoor space. These special effects really made the play more effective and made me think about how talented all the people that helped to put the play on really were. Also, I thought about how lucky I am to have such an amazing theater company right where I live.
King Lear has been performed for over 400 years, but this production represented the current day. The cast of this production was multiracial. Similarly, women were cast to play roles traditionally played by men. For example, the character of Kent, the king's advisor, was played by a woman and the Duke of Gloucester was also played by a woman despite traditionally being a male role. To me, that was really cool and was yet another thing that helped make Northern Stages production of King Lear special.
Overall, the set and the special effects helped bring the play to life, which was very important in this very dense and sometimes confusing plot. I left this play wanting to ask questions about certain scenes to gain a better understanding about what was going on.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWhen I heard you had gone to see a Shakespeare play and was planning on doing your review, I immediately became interested in what you were going to write. I enjoy Shakespeare a lot but I’ll agree with you in that King Lear is a rather confusing one.
DeleteDuring one of my One Act competitions, I saw King Lear. However, I assume that that fifty-five minute performance can barely be compared to the lengthy one you saw. Even though the professionalism of the actors and length of the play were drastically different, just from your review, I can see quite a similarity between the complexities of the set. There was not rubber falling from the sky in the show I saw, but there was a clear amount of effort put into their set. They had a huge head of the King center stage. It was used as a place for actors to hide behind and stand in. They also used red and blue lights to give that storm effect. The role the set played in both of these productions makes me wonder what it would be like without it. As well as wonder why the set is such an important part of King Lear.
Thank you for your thoughtful review, Lily. It's interesting to see the show through your eyes as a set tech person. I agree that we're lucky to have a professional theater company doing work at such a high level in our region. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on the ethical dilemma Lear's daughters face as their father demands demonstrations of love and how you interpret Cordelia's actions in the context of impossible options. Do you have insights into the sources of Lear's growing madness? What connects for you about the play's depiction of father-daughter love and loyalty?
DeleteDue to the current situation, I was unable to attend a local lecture. I have gone to several in the past and was excited to listen to another and share a written reflection on this blog. However, I have found the value in listening to online lectures, specifically TEDTalks. This site offers a wide variety of speakers and topics and you can find a talk on essentially anything. I was originally going to look for one that I agreed with. For instance, the benefits that music has on your brain, or the evolution of technology and how it has both advanced and hindered our society. Then I got an urge to listen to one that I did not agree with. I wanted to hear someone’s perspective that I oppose as I thought it would be more interesting to respond to. But I came across one titled “Why it is worth listening to people you disagree with.” This seemed even more engaging than what I was originally wanting.
ReplyDeleteThis TEDTalk was presented by Zachary R. Wood on how valuable it is to listen to controversial speakers. He shared how throughout his life, he has had many experiences of uncomfortable learning. He had a difficult time listening to people speak of how some races are less intelligent than others. He learned about affirmative action from his mother and the best ways to stay safe as a part of the black community from a book. Wood has his own very defined views on these topics. But has made it a goal of his to not only listen to people with opposing views but learn from them. Wood said that hearing from people who think that blacks have lower IQ’s is difficult and he has no intention of trying to agree with them. However, he wants to find common ground with these people. In fact, he had a conversation with someone who was known for their controversial talks about race and intelligence. Wood came out from this discussion realizing that both he and the man wanted to create a more just society, yet their versions of justice are quite different. He was able to look past their ideas he did not agree with and find something they had in common. But he could also see the importance of finding what they disagreed on. This way, Wood may not come to accept or side with their opinions, but he can better understand why they feel a certain way.
Every single point Wood made in his TEDTalk made sense. I often found myself nodding along with his points and even clapping at the end. It can be difficult to hear people speak against something you strongly believe. It can be extremely triggering if a traumatic experience was paired with those opposing views. However, these views will always be there. Not paying attention to them will not due us any good. In fact, it can do harm. I believe that closing off anyone who does not think like us, is closing us off to a world of learning. By gathering multiple perspectives one might find an opinion they share which can make way for even more in-depth conversations. Which can then lead to an appreciation of different views. I gained a lot from this eleven-minute video and truly wish it had been longer. Wood explained his points very clearly and one of the last things he mentioned summed up his talk very well. Here it is:
“I’d like to see a world with more leaders who are more familiar with the depths of the views of those they deeply disagree with.”
Here is the link to the TEDTalk I listened to.
https://www.ted.com/talks/zachary_r_wood_why_it_s_worth_listening_to_people_you_disagree_with
Jessica S.
ReplyDeleteI was originally planning on attending a local lecture, but was unable to due to COVID-19. I turned to looking at some online videos, and was intrigued by a commencement speech that Elon Musk gave in 2012 at the California Institute of Technology. This speech was truly inspiring and beneficial to listen to.
It was really interesting to hear about his childhood and what inspired him to do what he does. He didn’t know what he wanted to be, but he thought that inventing things would be cool and decided to pursue that based on a quote from Arthur C. Clark. The quote said, “A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” He wanted to make his own magic in the world and help to expand the knowledge that we already have and go further with it. One of his inventions in particular really stood out to me and that was when he talked about creating SpaceX. He explained how despite everyone telling him that he shouldn’t do it and that it was a crazy idea, he went for it anyways. While it was tough at first, and he failed creating a rocket three times, on the fourth try he successfully built one and had the rocket reach orbit. I thought two big lessons came out of that. It really showed the failures you have to go through before you succeed and how that will only make you more determined and able to adjust your ideas in order to make what you want happen. He also proved that it’s possible to do something that everyone else thinks is impossible. I think that’s really empowering and shows that if you put your mind to something and work for it, you really can make it happen.
Hearing him talk about PayPal, SpaceX, and Tesla, I also noticed how much he truly cares for humanity. After inventing PayPal, he discussed how he was thinking about other problems that could likely affect the future of humanity and basing his next project off of that. I think that’s really important. He wasn’t thinking about all of the money he could make, he was focusing on the future of us. Musk talked about how through SpaceX he wants to make sure humanity is able to have a back up plan using Mars. He wants to find a fast and reusable transport system to Mars incase something happens to Earth. This was something that really struck me. A lot of things seem to be all about money, and people wanting to gain money. I think it’s so much more important to put money aside and think about ways you can help others and their futures because that’s something you truly cannot put a price on. I think more people need to focus and worry about the future of humanity and what we would do if something happened, and I think he did a really good job of highlighting that idea.
The last line of his speech was like the cherry on top. It really summed up his points and I think it leaves everyone who hears it inspired to go out and do good in the world. He said, “You guys are the magicians of the 21st century. Don’t let anything hold you back, imagination is the limit and go out there and create some magic.” The Caltech students definitely have bright futures ahead of them, and I admire everything Elon Musk said to encourage them and the choices they make.
Ben Acker
ReplyDeleteI had originally planned to attend a lecture locally and reflect on it here with you guys. Fortunately, due to Covid-19 my options as far as the subject of the lecture have expanded from a selection of local speakers available in one semester to all documented speakers ever. This sudden shift left me undecided as to what virtual lecture I wanted to attend. The good thing about virtual lectures is that they can be from any time and the listener can re-wind the speakers words. I took advantage of this and after looking at many TEDtalks I began to think about my own life. With the coronavirus, protests, and even riots happening in our country I realized that I am using my phone more than ever before.
I believe that I use my phone too much and that led me to a TEDtalk from 2016 that is more relevant now than ever. Cal Newport is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Georgetown University. He prides himself on never having a social media account and in this TEDtalk, “Why you should quit social media” he convinces the audience to quit social media. While Mr. Newports ideas are somewhat dated in 2020, the principal is the same. Cell phones are an unnecessary and an unsavory source of entertainment.
I agree with Mr. Newports ideas and something I noticed watching in 2020 is how social media is being used today. While it remains a source of entertainment it is also now a source of news. His TEDtalk doesn't talk about how social media conveys news and without getting too political I would like to.
Coronavirus, the presidential campaign, black lives matter. These three things have been dominating the news cycle as of 2020. Headlines have penetrated so deep into social media that I find it hard to open my phone and not see the news. But as with any news outlet we, as consumers and viewers, need to be cautious. Many video clips are taken out of context with no credit given. On social media it is difficult to find where information is coming from and the perspective of the presenter. With this information missing news can be misinterpreted and spread very quickly.
Another problem with news on social media is the algorithms that determine what the viewer sees. Social media shows the consumer what is popular and what is trendy. Social media does not convey a broad spectrum of perspectives on any given topic like other trusted news sources. This makes news on social media less about the facts and more about the most popular perspective.
Because credit is rarely given and literally anybody can present news to the world it can be hard to tell what is real, and what is not. It’s important to take all news especially that on social media with a grain of salt and an open mind.
Cal Newport's ideas remain relevant four years later. I wonder what Mr. Newport thinks about social media today? Have his views changed? Does he still not have any social media?