When I first read 1984, I approached it as a political novel, because that’s the reason it is so famous and people say that it is particularly relevant today. It was great to read it using this approach, and I learned a lot from it, but there is a second plotline. That is Winston’s relationship with Julia. It is nonetheless important, but it mainly serves to develop Winston as a character before taking everything away from him during the third part of the book. When I decided to make a trailer for the book, I wanted to focus on what makes it so relevant today: its strong anti-authoritarian message. I thought of having Julia say, “I Love You” over a black screen at the end of the trailer, but I decided this took away from the focus, which was to paint a picture of a living hell. The trickiest part was finding a way to paint said picture. How do I establish Orwell’s nightmare without giving away the plot and encouraging people to learn more. I noticed movie trailers almost exclusively contain material from the exposition of the movie and the establishment of conflict. Those two parts say a lot about the movie without giving away the plot. Because of this, I decided to go back to the very beginning and use Winston’s journal as a way to paint the picture I wanted to paint. I made a journal entry, though not from the book, that’s written to O’Brien, and then I filmed myself as Winston thinking about it and writing it, as well as adding relevant images such as the Party Slogans.
When I first read 1984, I approached it as a political novel, because that’s the reason it is so famous and people say that it is particularly relevant today. It was great to read it using this approach, and I learned a lot from it, but there is a second plotline. That is Winston’s relationship with Julia. It is nonetheless important, but it mainly serves to develop Winston as a character before taking everything away from him during the third part of the book. When I decided to make a trailer for the book, I wanted to focus on what makes it so relevant today: its strong anti-authoritarian message. I thought of having Julia say, “I Love You” over a black screen at the end of the trailer, but I decided this took away from the focus, which was to paint a picture of a living hell.
ReplyDeleteThe trickiest part was finding a way to paint said picture. How do I establish Orwell’s nightmare without giving away the plot and encouraging people to learn more. I noticed movie trailers almost exclusively contain material from the exposition of the movie and the establishment of conflict. Those two parts say a lot about the movie without giving away the plot. Because of this, I decided to go back to the very beginning and use Winston’s journal as a way to paint the picture I wanted to paint. I made a journal entry, though not from the book, that’s written to O’Brien, and then I filmed myself as Winston thinking about it and writing it, as well as adding relevant images such as the Party Slogans.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PBqCfwCG8X-SucFLHcvyq7jVVMxsfZ5u/view?usp=sharing