1. Quote one line/passage OR note one image from within Chap 13-18 that feels imp’t to the text, and write a paragraph explaining why. (Note page #.) Skip a line between paragraphs since you cannot indent on the blog.
2. What has this book left you thinking about? Explain. End your post w/ a question.
3. Also, reply to at least one student's post.
3. Also, reply to at least one student's post.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBen Acker
ReplyDeleteAfter finishing The Chosen I felt that Chaim Potok used imagery very well. One moment of imagery that also seemed important to the novel was in the very last paragraph. When Reuven describes Danny leaving for graduate school, “We shook hands and I watched him walk quickly away, tall, lean, bent forward with eagerness and hungry for the future, his metal capped shoes tapping against the sidewalk. Then he turned into Lee Avenue and was gone”(291). Potak describes multiple senses here; the handshake, watching Danny walk quickly away, Danny's hunger for the future, and Danny's tapping shoes. This makes for a vivid image out of a paragraph that is also important to the novel. Danny chose to veer off the course that his father had chosen for him whereas Reuven remains in his community. The two friends parted ways at the end of The Chosen but the relationship they shared allowed them both to grow. We can see this throughout the novel and especially after Danny's father allowed them to talk again, “the ease between Danny and myself now permitted us to engage in a constant flow of competitive discussion that virtually monopolized the hours of the shiur”(262).
The Chosen left me thinking about silence. A quote that I found particularly interesting was, “You can listen to silence, Reuven. I've begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. “(267) I relate to this quote, the silence before I fall asleep feels like the type of silence I can listen to and learn from. I was left wondering about silence because in the last paragraph Potok described the sound of Danny's shoes followed by “he was gone” That moment brought me back to the notion of silence. To me, whenever I finish a book and stare at the bottom of the page in its blankness, I can hear silence. I wonder if silence could be a theme of this novel? If so, how? If not, what are some other themes of The Chosen?
DeleteI do think that silence could be a theme of the book as Reb raises Danny in silence, Danny and Reuven experience it themselves, and throughout the book, Reuven loses connection with certain people from the hospital. However, since you already explored that theme in your response, I’d like to touch on the theme of love. Love and how different people express it seems to be a recurring theme in “The Chosen.” There is clearly love between Danny and Reuven as they are both hurt when they are disconnected and they share so much with each other. Their friendship is so important to both of them. The love and relationship between Danny and his father is also shown in the book. At the end of the book, Reb clearly says that he loves his son but he just shows it in a different way. Reb chose to keep silence between Danny and himself because he thought Danny needed to grow his soul and this would do exactly that. Reb thinks that silence is best for Danny and he did it because he loves him. Love but also hate is shown in the relationship between Reb and Reuven. Reuven develops a strong feeling of anger towards Reb. This hate does seem justified, but I think it then allows for a feeling of love to evolve. Reuven is able to respect Reb near the very end and at the beginning of the book because he has experienced that hatred.
I think silence is a major theme in the book. It is definitely evident in many places, especially in this last part. One example is when Reuven and Danny have to be silent toward each other because Reb Saunders excommunicated Reuven and his dad. Another example is when Reuven is feeling alone in his house with his dad in the hospital. He gets through the silence by studying Talmud. I think a major part of this silence theme as well is how we deal with silence. Danny dealt with the silence between him and his father by reading things like Freud. Reuven dealt with the silence between him and his father by studying Talmud. And yet, sometimes silence is harder to deal with than others. Reuven dealt with the silence between him and Danny by stirring up resentment and hatred toward Reb Saunders.
DeleteI liked when you talked about silence. It’s something you don’t think about, but you really can hear silence, we all do. We all deal with silence in different ways, but it’s always there. Sometimes silence can be something you need, or something that you dread. I also agree with you about their friendship, and how they were able to grow from the bond they had. Moving on is an important part of life and we all have to do it at some point. Even with Danny gone, I think they will still find a way to stay in touch and stay friends.
Delete"Sometimes silence can be something you need, ..."
DeleteI'm interested to know more about what you mean by this. It makes sense. What does silence give?
After I finished reading The Chosen I found one passage that was very important to the text. “A wiser father … may have done differently. I am not … wise. Today is the-the festival of Festival of Freedom. Today my Daniel is free.” (268) I found this passage important because it showed that Reb Saunders was finally letting Danny go achieve his dream which he wanted to do all along. Also Reb Saunders is freeing Danny from the guilt that he would have otherwise faced if he had not talked to his father because he was supposed to take his father's position in the future. This passage is a great end to the book because it shows that Danny and Reuven finally got what they wanted which was to achieve their dream of doing what they wanted to do in the world.
ReplyDeleteThe Chosen left me thinking about how this story is a conflict between piousness and being a blind fanatic. This book is talking about the differences between the two groups and the two families but it is also trying to tell you that this happens in many religions. Catholicism, Islam, Mormonism etc. I think this because Potok makes the book so accessible to many Americans because he talks about baseball, growing up in New York City, and The American Way. He is also making it really accessible to Americans because In America there are many different religions so he wants this book to be relatable too all but chooses Judaism as his religion of choice because he is Jewish. So do you think the overall theme of this novel is conflict between different interpretations of something and how to solve it? If so how and if not what do you think are some of the themes?
I believe that that is definitely a theme but not the prominent one. I think that the main theme is the relation of religion pushing people to do something with their life that they don't want to do and the struggle to find what is right in that situation and how one needs someone to confide in and support them thought that. It is also a story of two kids growing up under odd circumstances showing that friendship can come out of anywhere at any time.
DeleteBen Acker
DeleteMack, I think one of multiple recurring themes in the chosen is the different ways people interpret the same thing. For example this theme was apparent from the beginning of the novel, the end of the novel and especially in the middle of the book. All the time Reuven and Danny bonded over their different interpretations of the Torah and Talmud. Interpreting the word of god is significant throughout the novel. That's not the only way that the theme, the different ways people interpret the same, thing occurs. Mr. Malters interpretation of the proper way to raise his son to be a rabbi also contributes to this theme. The different ways people interpret the same thing is a recurring theme throughout the chosen.
Danny and Reuven’s connection was completely torn apart and then carefully reconstructed throughout these last chapters. I think that Reuven’s reaction to Reb Saunders forcing the boys to separate is very important to the text. “‘I don’t understand it abba.’ I was almost in tears. ‘In a million years I’ll never understand it’” (232). In these few lines, it is clear that Reuven is distraught because of the silence between the two of them. He can’t understand and I don’t think he is really trying to understand why Reb forbid Danny from talking to him over Zionism. To Rueven, not being able to talk with Danny is close to torture. Several times he explains how he is angry, yet mad and really just hopeful that someday he will be able to reconnect with Danny. How Reuven feels about this shows just how much their friendship has evolved. He feels so close to Danny that no contact with him puts him in tears whereas at the beginning of the book, Reuven much rather would have not spoken to Danny.
ReplyDeleteNear the very end of the book, Reb apologizes to Rueven for what he did. Both Rueven’s father and Danny’s father try to explain why this happened but the real reasoning was still lost for me. Obviously, it happened because of their different beliefs about a Jewish state. However, Reb talks about how he knows Reuven’s soul. How he sees him as a great friend, and a person Danny needed in his life. So it confuses me why Zionism caused Reb to change his mind. Is Reb’s religious belief just so important that he would sacrifice the connection between his son and his best friend? Or did he not realize what he was doing to his son and just became heated in the moment which caused him to separate the boys? Finally, could there be a deeper reason for why Reb made the decision to forbid any communication between them or was it purely Zionism?
I think that Reb became heated in the moment when he told Danny that the boys could not be seen together. At that moment he was really mad. However I think he kept them separated for a period of time for religious reasons but at the moment that he separated them he was blinded by his anger. Since the last part of the book we see how sorry Reb was for separating the two, I think over time he was starting to regret the outburst of anger and his decision to separate the boys.
DeleteI think Reb made the decision because at the moment he was blinded by anger and his annoyance at Zionism. And I think the first couple months after he made that decision it was because of his dislike of Zionism. However over those months of forbidding contact between the two boys, I think he saw the harm he was causing Danny and slowly started to realize he needed to revert his decision
I think if the only things Reb Saunders considered were his own belief and feelings, he would not have ban Danny from seeing Reuven, but as Reb Malter points out, he had a lot more than that to think about. As the leader of his community, a community that is strongly opposed to a Jewish state in Palestine, Reb Saunders cannot allow himself or his son, be associated with such avid supporters of the cause. As Danny explains to Rueven in the beginning of the book, although he is not yet the leader of his community, he is next in line, which is almost as important. Danny is just as much of a role model to the people as his father is, which could be why Reb Saunders had such a severe reaction to the Malters’ support of Zionism. His motivation for separating Danny and Rueven did seem to be Zionism, but I think it was more political at the root.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThese chapters making up the last of the book are packed with interesting lines and ideas but one that I really liked and I feel adds significantly to the meaning to the story is “welcome back to the land of the living.”(260) the importance of this line has nothing to do with what it means but where and what time it is spoken. This line is the first time Danny and Reuven speak with each other in over two year. In the story the passage of time can be confusing but when one realises the amount of time they had to endure without a single word passing between them it puts many things in the story into contact such as Reuvens hate of Danny's father as he is the instigator of the silence. It also shows how strong their friendship was. They were able to continue being friends as if nothing had happened after the ban was lifted. It is remarkable a friendship doesn't fall apart when put through that.
ReplyDeleteThis book was certainly an interesting read. After finishing it it left a lot of questions, one of the main ones being how does one deal with being expected to do something by their family but actually wanting to do something else entirely. In the book Danny struggles with this question is it better for him to be happy or to make his father and community happy and take over his father's role. Lucky in his case his father Knew this would happen and his little brother could take over but what would have happened if that wasn't true. What would you have done in that situation and why?
After finishing The Chosen, I found that Chaim Potok used imagery in many different parts. One that I felt was very important to the text and understanding the bond between Danny and Reuven, was when Reuven described what it was like when Danny left for college, “We shook hands and I watched him walk quickly away, tall, lean, bent forward with eagerness and hungry for the future, his metal capped shoes tapping against the sidewalk. Then he turned into Lee Avenue and was gone” (291). Reuven describes many different senses that really made me able to picture what their parting ways was like. He described the handshake, and how he watched him walk away, but used descriptive words to describe how he walked away. He mentioned how Danny was hungry for the future, and I think that is important to understanding the characters. Reuven stayed in his community while Danny wanted to start his new life and build towards his future. The parting ways of the two friends was a bit emotional, but I think it is important for the two characters to "evolve" in a sense.
ReplyDeleteThe Chosen left me to think about friendships, and how they grow. I couldn't stop thinking about what might happen to my friendships with certain people as we grow up and decide on our futures. The Chosen depicts what an actual friendship can turn into, and how their bonds will never separate them, no matter how far away they are from each other. And once you do part ways with a good friend of yours, which eventually happens to all of us, staying friends with that person depends on the bonds you have with them, and how your going to keep that bond alive. A question I had was if you have a friend, what would you do to keep your bond with that friend alive?
This is a great question, because we see many ups and downs in the friendship of Reuven and Danny throughout the book. To me, friendships are really important, and I am willing to do a lot to have that strong connection with another person. However, I disagree with your idea that you always part ways with your friends eventually. I think that if you are really close with a person the parameters of your friendship may change but that bond with them never goes away. Once you have that special never-ending bond with a person, you make the time to see them, which is definitely something I do and plan on continuing to do with my friends. The evolution of Reuven’s and Danny's friendship was a good reminder to me that my friendships aren't always going to be perfect, but that you can work through the hard times if you’re committed and determined to do so.
DeleteJessica S.
DeleteI can relate a lot to what you’re saying about friendship. It’s something I constantly think about as I grow up as well. Personally, my friends mean the whole world to me, and I would do anything to keep our bonds alive. One obstacle that Danny and Reuven had to face in their friendship was silence, and not always being able to communicate, which was really hard for them. I think communication is a really important part of any friendship or relationship in general, and that’s something I want to make sure I continue maintaining with my friends if we eventually part ways in the future going to college or wherever our lives take us. Making sure to make time to try and meet up, or even something as simple as sending a letter or text to show that you’re still there and still care, is something I think is extremely important and hope to continue doing in the future as well.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThroughout the book, Reuven repeatedly asks Danny whether he is talking with his father or not. Every time he asks Danny, the answer is always no. But towards the end of the book, that changes. When Reuven asks Danny again, Danny says “‘Yes...We talk now (290).”’ A lot of the book is about the conflict Danny has with his father, and this quote shows us a degree of resolution. Part of this resolution is the result of a conversation Reb Saunders had with Reuven, which Danny heard. During this conversation, it becomes clear to us as readers that Reb Saunders knows that Danny is never going to take his place and he’s okay with Danny going to psychology school. It seems like Reb Saunders can’t tell Danny these things directly, but he can with Reuven there. Now that Danny knows his father can accept this choice, they are able to talk again.
ReplyDeleteAfter finishing The Chosen, by Chaim Potok, I was left thinking about many things. One of the things I was thinking about was the idea of parents’ expectations for their children. It is clear that both Danny and Reuven had many expectations from their fathers that they were trying to live up to. For Danny, his father's expectations place a huge toll on him. This left me thinking about parental expectations today and how they may have shifted. My question is: To what extent do the problems that Danny was facing in terms of balancing his dreams with his father’s expectations still apply to young people in our society today?
One quote that stood out for me is, “How long would Reb Saunders continued this ban over a dead issue (261)?” Previously, Reb had banned Danny from contacting Reuven due to a Zionist speech that Reuven’s father had given. Reb didn’t want his family to associate with the Zionists. Eventually, the Zionists won and established a Jewish state in Palestine, and then Reb Saunders lifted the ban. It also ended an agonizing silence between Danny and Reuven. It also speaks to a theme we see a lot in the book: Some things, such as the past, you cannot change, and it’s best to accept it and move on. This theme was evident when Danny hit Reuven in the eye with a baseball. It was also evident when Reuven learned of the strange relationship between Danny and his Father. It was also evident when Reb knew about Danny’s study and interest in Freud and psychology, but Reb decided that this is where Danny’s heart lay and he accepted it.
ReplyDeleteThis book has left me thinking about how humans tend to hold on to grudges and frustration, but it’s often much better for everyone if we just accept that things are the way they are and move on. This principle is not universal, because some things can and should be fought over. A few examples of this in the book are the destruction of European Jewry and the debate over a state of Israel. However, when those things are over, once the European Jewry is destroyed and the state of Israel is established, there’s no use in continuing to fight it. It’s better to accept it as reality, learn from it, and move on.
Is it better to hold onto a grudge or a painful memory? Is there any reason to remain angry over things that have already happened? Does that inspire us to work harder to prevent things like that happening in the future? Or is it better to let go like Reb Saunders did multiple times over the course of this book?
Throughout the book, Rueven and Danny’s relationship develops from a bitter rivalry into a remarkably strong friendship. The extent to which the boys have come to rely and depend on each other is apparent when they are no longer allowed to see one another. When Reb Saunders hears of Reb Maulter's involvement with the zionist movement and the rally he organized, he forbids Danny from seeing Rueven. Not being able to see or talk to Danny has a terrible effect on Rueven. “It was an ugly time, and it began to affect my schoolwork…” (234). Without Danny in his life, Rueven cannot focus on his classes, and much of what he used to enjoy is no longer fun. This shift in his mood and overall happiness shows just how much he cares for Danny, and how far their relationship has come since the baseball game.
ReplyDeleteIn the last few chapters of the book, Rueven discusses the way Reb Saunders treats Danny and the silence he keeps between them with his father as well as with Danny. When Rueven asks his father why anyone would ever raise his son the way Reb Saunders does, his father seems to understand Reb Saunders’ reasons, but does not share them with him. Part of why Rueven has so much trouble with the Saunders’ relationship seems to be because of how much he and his father talk and the stark difference between them and the Saunders. Although Danny expresses some distaste for the way his father interacts with him, when asked if he will treat any son he may have the same, he replies that probably will. These discussions have left me wondering about the reasons parents have for the things they do and the way they raise their children. Are there right and wrong ways to bring your children up, and if so, how are they distinguished, and by who?
Congratulations, all, on finishing the novel and carrying on such a thoughtful discussion! -SDG
ReplyDelete(Redone)
ReplyDeleteAfter finishing The Chosen by Chaim Potok, one thing really stood out to me. In the end when Danny is leaving for Columbia, Reuven sees that he has shaved his beard and cut off his earlocks, which were two symbols of Hasidic faith, "His beard and his earlocks were gone, and his face looked pale." (270) I feel this is important because it shows that Danny is truly moving on, and even though his father is not happy about him shaving both his beard and earlocks, he still went through with it. It is important that we are able to move on in life, and Danny really took that step. In the end, Danny seemed to be very happy about moving on, "But there was a light in his eyes that was almost blinding." (270) Also, something I thought was moving was when Danny mentioned that he was talking with his father again, which seemed to be a recurring thing in the book about their relationship being bad.
The main question I had once finishing reading, was when Danny comes back to visit his family, will he still partake in the same religious activities? Because he has clearly chosen a different path for himself, I wonder if he will continue to do certain Hasidic practices. I just think Danny would have so many options when it comes to that, but it would be hard to choose. Also, how will Danny and Reuvens friendship turn out after Danny is gone? This book was a very good read, and it taught me a lot about friendship, and a little about different religions.
Jessica S.
ReplyDeleteOne line that stood out to me was, “And then I was crying too, crying with Danny, silently, for his pain and for the years of his suffering, knowing that I loved him…” (288). This really shows the immense growth in Danny and Reuven’s friendship and just how much it progressed from the beginning of the book. Throughout much of the beginning of the story, Reuven wants absolutely nothing to do with Danny. During one of the times they interacted in the hospital, we learned that during the ball game, Danny really wanted to kill Reuven. They had no desire to be friends. It’s really amazing how much their relationship with each other changed as their friendship developed. Going from intense anger to feeling empathy and love, is truly a remarkable change, and shows how much they’ve grown as individuals as well.
This book has left me thinking about a lot of different things, but in particular, silence. “We walked for hours...walking in silence and saying more with that silence than with a lifetime of words” (289). This certain spot took place after the huge meeting between the two boys and Reb towards the very end of the story. This line just emphasized that silence can have just as much meaning as words. I connected this especially to the silence Danny and his father had with each other, and the silence Reuven felt when he and Danny were banned from seeing each other. Silence can have a lot of meaning, whether it’s comfortable or uncomfortable.
Over the course of the story, Danny and Reuven created an incredibly strong bond. I believe they will definitely meet again in the future. What I wonder is, how will the experiences they had together, influence how they raise their kids if they have any?