Friday, November 27, 2015

YWP for 4th Quarter (due May 29 by 8pm)

Post the following here:
• the prompt assignment you chose (Spell out the actual prompt.)
• the title of your piece here
• a link to your piece on the YWP website. (Do not post your actual piece here.)

17 comments:

  1. Ocean. Whether you’ve visited it yourself or only seen it in pictures (like this one by YWP's Graceful), the ocean is likely to conjure up a specific image, memory, or emotion unique to you. Nurture that natural response to write a poem or story inspired by the sea.

    Two Sides of the Sea
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/33540

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretta, I really enjoyed reading your piece about the ocean. You filled your writing with many descriptive words that helped capture the idea of being at the ocean. For example, when you are talking about the harsh side of the ocean, you used words like sharp and engulfing. Those words helped capture the idea you were trying to give readers. I thought it was really clever that you talked about the two different sides of the ocean — both the harsh and calm sides. There were definitely times when I was younger that I felt my myself getting separated from my parents by the strong pull of the ocean and thought it was very harsh. But there also have been times when I was amazed at how peaceful being at the ocean made me feel. Because of that, I thought you writing about the two different sides to the ocean made your piece very relatable and unique. The title you chose was very beneficial to the feeling you were trying to accomplish in your writing. It told me that you were making a comparison between two different sides of the ocean without stating the specifics.

      Delete
  2. Disaster. Within a poem or short story, personify a character as a natural disaster (think mudslides, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.). How does this geographical/climatic event reflect their worst traits, or even their whole personality?

    As My Levels Continued to Rise...
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/33995

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very unique take on the prompt. When I first read the Disaster prompt, I thought of creating a person who would walk and talk like how a natural disaster feels. However, you decided to put a spin on this and make your “character” be the narrator. This made your poem very interesting to read. Something I really liked about your piece was the title. I noticed that it was a line in your poem. This line was probably the most clear as to what natural disaster you were depicting. It was a very creative choice. I also appreciate how your title did not give away the natural disaster you were talking about. It leaves a little bit of work for your reader and guessing the disaster you wrote about made your piece more engaging. At first, I had thoughts of a drought, then a rainstorm, and even a tsunami. But as your poem progressed it became clearer and clearer that you had chosen a flood. Lines such as “It made everything look like the highest high tide,” and “I washed away houses,” were great lines to help get across the idea of a flood. Overall, this poem was very well written and I hope I guessed the right natural disaster!

      Delete
    2. Jessica S.

      This was a really fun response to read. I liked how you made every single line rhyme with another. It helped it flow really well and the clever word choices made it a lot more entertaining too. One line that stuck out to me was, “I washed away houses and children and spouses”. For me this was the part where the natural disaster you were talking about started to click in my mind. Like Gretta mentioned, I like how you didn’t just give away what disaster you were talking about. It kept me focused and interested to try and figure out what it could be. Lastly, I really enjoyed the two final lines you included. Before these lines, you set up this really engaging story full of action and destruction. I like how using the last two lines you had a more positive ending where the sun came out and the disaster realized that its “work here was done” to nicely wrap up everything that happened before and show it moving on.

      Delete
  3. Jessica S.
    Ocean. Whether you've visited it yourself or only seen it in pictures (like this one by YWP's Graceful), the ocean is likely to conjure up a specific image, memory, or emotion unique to you. Nurture that natural response to write a poem or story inspired by the sea.

    Sitting by the Sea
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/34353

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed reading your poem. I thought you included incredible imagery that painted a picture of the story you were telling me. I was able to imagine someone sitting by the ocean near their little cottage and letting go of all other stresses in the world. I also loved how you brought rhyme into your poem, specifically your decision not to make the whole poem rhyme. To me, that decision broke up the flow of the poem, in a good way, and forced me to visualize what was going. I frequently find myself getting caught up in the rhyming aspect of other poems and losing the powerful messages at the beginning of the lines. But because you chose not to make every line rhyme I was able to appreciate the whole poem, instead of just paying attention to the rhymes. I found the rhymes you used to be very beneficial to the pictures you were painting without distracting from it. Finally, I loved how you ended your poem with “I sit by the water, without a care.” I too have the feeling of letting go of the world around when I am at a place that makes me happy like the ocean.

      Delete
  4. Ben Acker
    WEEK 31: Home-ish. Describe a place that feels like home, but isn’t what you would consider your actual home. In what ways does this safe/special setting bring you comfort?

    Pirates
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/35029

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I really enjoyed your story about camp. I especially liked the ending, when you used the prompt name in your story to relay the message you were conveying: That camp was very home-ish to you. Pirates seems to be a pretty fun game, and I can tell because you used great details to describe the game and how it made you feel at home. I think you did a great job with this writing prompt.

      Delete
  5. Tate Whiteberg
    WEEK 32. Ocean.
    Whether you’ve visited it yourself or only seen it in pictures (like this one by YWP's Graceful), the ocean is likely to conjure up a specific image, memory, or emotion unique to you. Nurture that natural response to write a poem or story inspired by the sea.

    Sailing
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/35051

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tate, I thought this poem about sailing was very good. It inspires me to explore the ocean in a new way. I would've never considered sailing until I read your poem. I know nothing about how to do it, but I can learn. I liked the way you captivated the reader with question on almost every line. It prompts the reader to think, and answer the question for themselves. The ending really brought it all together though. With all the questions and then the last two lines telling the readers that everything they've imagined in your poem is sailing, was a great touch. Great job Tate!

      Delete
    2. I really loved this poem that you wrote. I have read some of your other poems in the past and I love how each one is unique, you don’t seem to repeat the type of poem you write. This one, I especially like because you chose to form questions with each line. Only the end was a statement. The questions, however, were so specific that they almost felt like a statement. You were sharing your experience of sailing but at the same time letting the reader contemplate if they had ever had such a moment. I particularly appreciated the last part of your poem. Throughout the rest of the poem, you were leading up to the ending which is very creative. You included a word from each section, (freedom, the present, excitement, peace, and flight) which tied the whole piece together nicely. I’m glad I chose to read and respond to your poem for my last response for honors!

      Delete
  6. Ben Acker
    Tate, I really enjoyed reading your poem about Sailing. I found your words so relatable! Especially because you chose to write in the form of questions. Rather than stating, for example, sailing grounds you to the moment. You said, "Have you ever felt so grounded in the moment? The way you did sailing on the sea?" That choice to use questions to indirectly make statements helped me relate and really visualize what you were saying. Questions almost slow down the tone of the piece and I found that much richer than other poems. My favorite part is the ending. Just as the reader began to appreciate the rhythm of the questions as if they were rhymes, a period appears instead of a question mark for the first time. That took me by surprise and enabled your final two sentences to stick with me. "Sailing is freedom, the present, excitement, peace, and flight. Sailing is all of these things". I can't stop reading it. Would It be alright with you if I included your poem sailing in my anthology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!

      I'm really glad you enjoyed reading it, and I loved reading your resoponse. You can definitely include it in your anthology if you want.

      Delete
  7. Liam Patterson
    Ocean
    Whether you’ve visited it yourself or only seen it in pictures (like this one by YWP's Graceful), the ocean is likely to conjure up a specific image, memory, or emotion unique to you. Nurture that natural response to write a poem or story inspired by the sea.
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/35112

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica S.

      I really enjoyed reading your response to this prompt. Reading each line, I was able to step into the free feeling of being by the sea and imagine each scenario like I was right there. In particular, I liked how you kept mentioning the size of the ocean and how big it is. When you used phrases like, “great big ocean, vastness of the ocean, uncharted water”, it made me feel an enchanted feeling which I can relate to when I go to the sea because you can really let your imagination run wild and escape from reality or any stress you have. When you mention the sunset being “the best sunset you can witness” and when you talked about the waves and how they “overlap each other” I could imagine beautiful bright colors of a sunset as a background to calming waves splashing onto shore and it put a very peaceful image in my mind. Overall, I liked how you set up a few different scenarios and then followed them up by different emotions the ocean can provoke. You seemed to speak of feeling free, adventurous, as well as peaceful. I liked that because it really showed the never ending possibilities the ocean provides.

      Delete
  8. Liam, I enjoyed reading your piece about the ocean. I especially liked how you began by talking about the path one would take to get to the ocean and then you said how free one is at the ocean. Beginning like that set the tone of your piece and as I read, your beginning about freedom stuck with me. I think thats because you mentioned many things to do at the ocean and as a reader I found myself thinking about and comparing each activity. Your poem makes me miss the ocean, good work.

    ReplyDelete